Think about the best bits of Christmas. Now think about the best bits of a ski holiday. Well, if you put them together you get something so ecstatically exciting that it should come with a health warning. The best day of them all is Christmas day of course and this is how it goes if you stay in an AliKats ski chalet in Morzine.
- Get up and look at the lovely white snow all around.
- Run downstairs to see if Santa has brought you anything nice.
- Eat a special AliKats Christmas breakfast consisting of the AliKats usuals plus Panetoni french toast topped with berry compote, greek yoghurt & maple syrup.
- Get taken in the special Christmas minibus * to the ski slopes and go skiing.
- Smile and laugh a lot.
- Get picked up from the bar at the bottom of the slopes in said special Christmas minibus and go back to the chalet.
- Eat mince pies with brandy butter, Christmas cake & ginger bread cookies. But not too much. The main event awaits…
- Sit in the hot-tub with a glass of vin chaud, gazing at the stunning snowy mountains all around.
- Congregate in the living room for Champagne and canapes whilst doing some pre-eat stomach stretches and listening to Christmassy music
- Go through to the dining room when the bell tolls **
- Eat the following AliKats delights all prepared from scratch by the chef:
- Soup course: Roasted butternut squash & ginger soup with creme fraiche & toasted pine nuts
- Fish course: Morzine smoked trout pate on granary toasts with a watercress & mixed seed salad
- Main course: Roast turkey with all the trimmings including duck fat roast potatoes, parsnip crisps, creamed sprouts, home made sage & onion stuffing, giblet gravy, pigs in blankets, bread sauce and of course a lovely, succulent turkey that lived a happy life on a local farm.
- Dessert: Christmas pudding with brandy butter & Buche de Noel (chocolate log)
- Cheese course: Buche de Neige blue cheese and biscuits. And Port of course.
- Tea & Coffee
- All of this is accompanied by our special Christmas wine: Insoupconne produced by the very talented Paul Boyer.
- Sit in front of the fire filling the remaining space with further wine until you can muster enough energy to get to bed.
* The special Christmas minibus consists of our chalet hosts wearing a Santa hat whilst driving. That qualifies as special and Christmas, ok.
** This bell is an Alpine cow bell not John Donne’s death’s bell. Just in case you were worried