Easy plum and red onion chutney
As we’re very lucky to have lots of fruit trees on our doorstep, in late September every year I am faced with the delicious problem of what to do with an abundance of fruit. Chutney is always the winning answer!
This recipe works for pretty much any type of red plum or damson, and the chipotle chilli gives it a beautifully warm finish to balance the sweetness. Having a few jars of this chutney in your store cupboard means you will always have those red fruit flavours on hand to jazz up a cheese board, or as a piquant accompaniment to cut the richness of chicken liver pate or even some duck confit.
- 1kg plums, stones removed and cut into quarters
- 3 medium red onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ small dried chipotle chilli, crushed
- 350ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Put all of the ingredients into a large heavy bottomed stainless steel pan (or jam/preserving pan if you have one) and bring to the boil. Then turn down the heat and leave it to simmer for about 2 hours until it has thickened, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. The chutney is ready when it is thick and syrupy and there is not much loose liquid left.
- Taste it and check the flavours are balanced, adjusting as necessary.
- Spoon into sterilized jars and seal.
Winter 2023: What’s new and not to miss in Morzine
The mountain tops have received their first dusting of snow across the Alps, and excitement is budding for an uninterrupted ski season with a buzzing resort and plenty of action up on the hill. Our forward thinking town just gets better and better, and we’re brimming with ideas of what…Continue reading...
Headaches, hurdles and hope: Climate action behind-the-scenes
Last year we made a commitment to develop a climate action plan and improve the transparency of our work in this area. A year in we share the details.Continue reading...
Children’s ski wear was boring until now…
We love creating partnerships with like minded brands so when we came across Dinoski, a new children’s skiwear brand, it was a no-brainer. Their collection is aimed at children aged 2-7 and features all-in-one, animal themed skiwear, which are waterproof and warm, sprinkled with just the right amount of wild.…Continue reading...
Inspiring food blogs that will leave you hungry
Check out a few of Kat’s favourite blogs that inspire some of her creations. Wild mushrooms, parsnips, pumpkins, plums, apples and nuts: autumn brings an abundance of colourful produce to satisfy our revived appetites and cravings for heartier dishes. It’s the perfect time for me to start cooking and planning…Continue reading...
Chalet Holidays in Morzine