Our quest to reduce the amount of plastic we use in our chalets
Our ‘green CV’ reads better than most alpine chalet companies, by our reckoning anyway! (see below) but we know there is a lot more we can do. One area in particular that we would like to improve on is the amount of plastics we use. Plastics rely on oil for manufacturing and anything we can do to reduce our reliance on oil is a good thing. Unfortunately, because of the incredible convenience of plastics, they are pretty much ubiquitous and it seems like an inescapable substance in this day and age. You might have recently seen the following compelling video which was popular on social media:
However, we have been reading a lot around the subject in recent months and we have been influenced by lots of great thinkers who are conceiving of new ways to reduce the world’s dependency on plastic. In particular, there is one movement called ‘Transition’ which focuses on preparing for a world without oil. The man behind this is Rob Hopkins, who is an incredibly compelling speaker and if you can spare 15 minutes out of your day, check out his TED talk
We will be writing more on how we plan to put this into affect at AliKats over the coming months so stay tuned….
AliKats “Green CV”
- Cleaning products – all made with organic materials and bought in bulk at the beginning of the season to reduce packaging
- Bathroom products (handwash, shower gel & moisturiser) – only 100% plant and mineral derived actives and is free from skin-unfriendly synthetic ingredients. Also bought in bulk at the beginning of the season to reduce packaging
- Eggs – all free range and locally laid
- Meat – all free range and locally reared which reduces food miles
- Food bought in bulk – reduces packaging
- Food waste – We compost the majority of our organic food waste
- Wine – The majority of our wines are sulphate free
- Coffee pods – All made with biodegradable organic materials. Nespresso pods are made with aluminium and are a ecological nightmare for landfill. They claim that you can recycle them but you need to arrange specific collection from Nespresso which is a pain so no-one does it.
- Recycling – All our glass, cardboard, tins & plastic is recycled wherever possible
- Palm oil – We are trying, wherever possible, to ensure all of our products are free of palm oil
- More coming soon…
The Chicken Cycle: The benefits of gardening with chooks
Last year we introduced chickens to our garden and they’ve quickly become a fundamental part of our permaculture gardening system. They’re also comical creatures to have around, and the three youngest AliKats (Ivy, Wilf and Albie aged 8, 6 and 4) have loved being involved in taking care of them.Continue reading...
EcoSki – the sustainable way to find your perfect ski outfit
We’re always interested in supporting other brands and businesses that are shaping the future of skiing and helping skiers tread more lightly on the planet. EcoSki is a business with a clear mission: to give skiers better choices for obtaining their kit, limit unnecessary purchases (and waste) and keep mountain…Continue reading...
How to compost meat without attracting rats!
Composting is a great step towards a greener lifestyle. It, not only, reduces food waste sent to landfill, and therefore cuts down the carbon footprint of your household or business, but it produces a nutritious, chemical-free fertiliser to feed your garden. Today we are going to tell you about Bokashi,…Continue reading...
Chalet Holidays in Morzine