Gourmet Grill recipe 2/5: Smoky baba ganoush
Hummus on the table at a party or BBQ is no surprise, so why not jazz things up with an exciting alternative. Baba ganoush has a similar moreish texture with Eastern Mediterranean flavours. In this recipe Kat grills the aubergines on the BBQ until blackened and squidgy to create a delicious smoky flavour. It’s important not to rush this step as undercooked aubergines won’t give the right texture or flavour.
2 large aubergines
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tbsp tahini
2-3 tbsp plain full fat yoghurt (thick greek style is best)
Lemon juice & salt to taste
- Grill the aubergines, turning frequently so that the skin is completely blackened. Cook until they are soft and squidgy. Do not rush this step as undercooked aubergines won’t give the right texture or flavor.
- Remove from the grill and leave to cool.
- Once cool, carefully peel of all the blackened skin and scrape the flesh into a bowl.
- Add half the garlic, 2 tablespoons of tahini, 2 tablespoons of yoghurt, a good squeeze of lemon and a good pinch of salt.
- Mash all of the ingredients together and mix well.
- Taste and add more garlic, yoghurt, tahini, lemon, salt as needed to get the desired flavor and texture. The main flavor should be the smoky aubergine so don’t allow the other ingredients to overwhelm it but rather enhance it.
- Serve topped with a generous drizzle of good olive oil and if you like, a sprinkling of fresh herbs, chilli flakes, za’atar or sumac
The Freshness of Spring
As the world around us greens and grows, there is an explosion of vigour that we’ve been waiting for all winter. Our bodies are aching for freshness after a winter of root vegetables, pickles and preserves. Our store cupboards are emptying and as the days lengthen and the sun starts…Continue reading...
How to Make Yogurt From Scratch
At AliKats, we supply all of our catered chalets with homemade yoghurt. To make this quantity we use a yoghurt machine, but the principles of homemade yoghurt are incredibly straightforward and don’t require anything fancy if you’re making it in small batches.Continue reading...
How to Make Ice Cream From Scratch
Now, I don’t need to convince you that homemade ice cream is delicious. All ice cream is delicious. What you may not have considered, however, is the pure, unadulterated freedom that making your own ice cream gives you. You want triple chocolate cookie dough, salted caramel and a peanut butter…Continue reading...
How to Make Butter From Scratch
Butter is a familiar face in the weekly household shop, but it’s actually really easy to make at home, and it’s unbelievably versatile. Rich and creamy, you can absolutely taste the difference, and it requires a mere 2 ingredients!Continue reading...
Chalet Holidays in Morzine