Gourmet Grill Video Recipe 1/5: Spiced Cote du Boeuf cooked ‘dirty’
Cote du Boeuf sounds fancy, but it is just the French term for bone-in ribeye. It’s surprisingly easy to cook this impressive hunk of meat on the BBQ. In this one minute video Kat shows you how to mix up a delicious marinade with just four ingredients and flash cooks the beef on the coals before finishing off on the grill.
Marinating overnight infuses the meat with the spices, and then removing the excess before cooking prevents it from burning. Cooking ‘dirty’ straight on the coals makes sure the beef has a really good, charred flavour. Finishing on the grill gives you more control over how cooked you’d like your meat and allows you to BBQ your vegetables and other meats whilst the beef finishes off.
2.4kg 2-rib piece of beef
3tbsp olive oil
2tsp ground cumin
2tsp ground cardamom
- Wipe the beef with damp kitchen paper
- Pour 1 tbsp of oil into a small bowl. Add the spices and seasoning. Mix together. Rub the spice mixture all over the beef. Cover and marinate for 4 hours in the fridge or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge at least 1 hour before grilling and prepare the barbecue.
- When the coals are white hot, spread them out to make an even & flat surface for the beef.
- Wipe off the excess marinade and place the beef directly on the coals. Allow each side to get some colour (about 2 mins each side).
- Transfer to cooler side of BBQ and cook for 35-45 mins as preferred. Baste with the leftover marinade & extra oil if every 15 minutes to prevent drying.
- Allow it to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
The Freshness of Spring
As the world around us greens and grows, there is an explosion of vigour that we’ve been waiting for all winter. Our bodies are aching for freshness after a winter of root vegetables, pickles and preserves. Our store cupboards are emptying and as the days lengthen and the sun starts…Continue reading...
How to Make Yogurt From Scratch
At AliKats, we supply all of our catered chalets with homemade yoghurt. To make this quantity we use a yoghurt machine, but the principles of homemade yoghurt are incredibly straightforward and don’t require anything fancy if you’re making it in small batches.Continue reading...
How to Make Ice Cream From Scratch
Now, I don’t need to convince you that homemade ice cream is delicious. All ice cream is delicious. What you may not have considered, however, is the pure, unadulterated freedom that making your own ice cream gives you. You want triple chocolate cookie dough, salted caramel and a peanut butter…Continue reading...
How to Make Butter From Scratch
Butter is a familiar face in the weekly household shop, but it’s actually really easy to make at home, and it’s unbelievably versatile. Rich and creamy, you can absolutely taste the difference, and it requires a mere 2 ingredients!Continue reading...
Chalet Holidays in Morzine