Responsible Hot Tub Initiative
We all love a good soak in the hot tub, especially after a day on the slopes, but there is no escaping that hot tub maintenance is both energy and water intensive.
On average a hot tub that is refilled weekly, as is the case with our chalet hot tubs, uses 1500 litres of water and 200 kWh of electricity per week in the winter to keep the water at 37.5C.
To put this into perspective, this is around half the amount of water three people are estimated to use over a whole week in a British household*, and almost the same electricity usage as a 3-bedroom British household over a whole month (estimated at 250 kWh).
It is no wonder, therefore, that in our 2022/23 Climate Action Plan, which aims to keep our business on track for low-carbon growth in line with a 1.5°C future, we identified hot tubs as an area where we need to cut down on energy use. As with all areas of our business, sustainable growth means transforming the way we do things to help us and our guests take better care of the planet.
Our goal is to reduce our impact whilst providing sustainable choices to help you enjoy a more eco-friendly holiday. Here is how our new Responsible Hot Tub Initiative works:
Summer Hot Tubs: Opt-in
Up until now, we have always included hot tub use with all of our chalet holidays no matter what the weather or time of year. We are finding now that during the increasingly hot summers, guests often do not use the hot tubs, which makes water changes, cleaning and heating wasteful in energy and water.
To reduce any unnecessary environmental impact created by your holiday, hot tub use will now be opt-in only:
- Hot tub use is not included in the quoted price of your holiday
- You will be given the chance to ‘opt-in’ to hot tub use before arriving at your chalet
- If you choose to ‘opt-in’ a fee of €200 will be added to the balance due for your week-long holiday booking (or €100 for weekend bookings)
- If you booked a summer chalet holiday before 1st October 2023 and do not wish to use the hot tub, we will subtract €200 from your balance due
- This initiative is valid between the following dates: 25th June to 1st September each year.
- If during your holiday you decide you would like to use the hot tub, we charge the same fees to prepare it for you [NB: it takes at least 24 hours for the hot tub to get up to temperature]
Winter, Spring and Autumn Hot Tubs: Opt-out
During winter and the cooler shoulder seasons we realise hot tub use is more appealing and an important part of your holiday experience with us. We have, therefore, kept hot tubs included in the quoted price of our chalet holidays but introduced an ‘opt-out’ option which will reduce the cost of your holiday.
- Hot tub use is included in the quoted price of your holiday
- You will be given the chance to ‘opt-out’ to hot tub use before arriving at your chalet
- If you choose to ‘opt-out’ €200 will subtracted from the balance due for your week-long holiday booking (or €100 for weekend bookings)
- If you have already booked a chalet holiday and do not wish to use the hot tub, we will either subtract €200 from your balance or refund it (if paid already)
- We need at least 48 hours notice prior to arrival if you want to opt out
- NB: it takes at least 24 hours for the hot tub to get up to temperature
- This initiative is valid between the following dates: 1st September to 24th June each year
Excess water fee (for mid-week water change)
We change the water in our hot tubs before new guests arrive, this keeps the hot tub clean and hygienic. Mid-week changes are not usually necessary unless improper use of the hot tub has occurred.
Guests can keep the water clean, and avoid a mid-week water change by:
- Always showering (and ensuring sunscreen and hair products have been washed off) before entering the hot tub
- Keeping all breakable objects, especially glass, away from the hot tub
- A fee of €100 will be charged for mid-week water changes.
Please find more information on our sustainability practices here, and do not hesitate to get in touch with any thoughts or questions about our responsible hot tub initiative at email@example.com.