The changing face of Morzine
When we moved to Morzine 7 years ago, it had a lot going for it. We were attracted to it by a number of things: it was an charmingly attractive mountain hub with not a high rise in site, it was only 1hr 15mins from Geneva airport, it was a year-round working mountain town & most importantly, it was at the heart of the Portes du Soleil, one of the best ski areas in the Alps if not the world.
But then a load of stuff changed and now it is THE place to be in the Alps. Here’s an overview of what we have seen change in the 7 years we have been living here
New things to do
In the last few years, the following new things have been built
- New Indoor Swimming pool in Morzine
- New skate park in Morzine
- New Aqua park in Avoriaz, called Aquariaz (see what they did?)
- New gym in Morzine
Events & Festivals
The number of festivals across both summer & winter that have come to Morzine in recent years is astonishing. Here are just a few:
- Rock the Pistes – a spring festival of music on the pistes
- Transition – a pre-xmas annual festival of music in Avoriaz which featured Dizzee Rascal in 2015
- Crankworx – the legendary mountain biking festival was in Les Gets in June 2016
- Tour de France – crucial tour defining stages finishing in Morzine in 2010 & again in 2016
- L’etape – Thousands of keen amateurs race a stage of the Tour finishing in Morzine in July 2016
- The Spartan Race – The famously challenging obstacle course comes to Morzine in July 2016
- Harley Davidson Festival – a bi-annual favourite where the town hosts thousands of bikers and their Harley bikes.
- Morzine Downhill MTB cup
- Mont-Blanc rally – rally driving round the roads and tracks of Morzine / Avoriaz
New types of places to eat and drink
Morzine & the surrounding area specialize in traditional Haute-Savoie cuisine, i.e. Fondu, tartiflette, raclette etc… However, sometimes melted cheese can get a bit repetetive and previously there wasn’t a huge amount to choose from if you wanted something different. Fast forward 7 years and we now have:
- The Bec Jaune offering a range of tasty delights taking influences from Asia, South America & the UK. On top of this, it is a micro-brewery and offers a great range of real beer which are delicious and a refreshing change
- Mamas offers various great alternatives: Wraps, Pitas, Noodles, and Fish & Chips
- Exclusif 1490 – unbelievable panoramic views in an incredible location
- Bouche a Oreille in St Jean. Great service offering a variety of treats including falafels, tapas & fantastic pizzas.
Improved access to the mountain
- New Pleney Gondola (going from Central Morzine to the top of the Morzine ski area)
- New Prodains gondola (going from the Morzine valley straight into Avoriaz)
- Increased speed on the Ardent gondola (going from the Montriond valley into the Lindaret bowl)
- Lots and lots of new chairlifts that are too many to mention!
Morzine chalets with incredible views
Morzine is surrounded by breathtaking mountains. They are a constant, beautiful companion no matter where you are or how you fill your days, so trying to choose which of our chalets boasts the best view is a harder task than you may think. We’ve compiled a list of favourites based…Continue reading...
The Best Vegetarian and Vegan Food in Morzine
As head chef at Alikats, and a strong advocate of veggie and vegan cuisine, I’m always on the lookout for great food which is both delicious and inspiring. Now I know what you’re thinking – the French Alps don’t seem like a natural habitat for fantastic plant-based food – but…Continue reading...
Unmissable pistes in the Portes du Soleil
Now we’re not one for bragging, but the Portes du Soleil has some of the best skiing in the world. It’s the largest cross-border ski area in Europe, bringing together the absolute best of French and Swiss Alpine culture, food and, importantly, ski terrain. Whether you’re a complete beginner looking to…Continue reading...
The Fun Guide: Where to Ski with Kids in Morzine
There are lots of factors involved in taking kids on a skiing holiday, but if you’ve ever done it before, you’ll know that when it comes to success on the slopes, it’s all about having fun! For mum and dad, that means keeping things simple and being well prepared. If…Continue reading...
Chalet Holidays in Morzine